Colic Treatment in Powder Springs, GA
It's not news that newborns generally cry when they're hungry, tired, frightened or wet. But babies with colic will cry excessively. Colic is different from a baby's normal tendency to cry in that it's characterized by episodes of extreme crying that generally occur at the same time each day. Colic symptoms can be extremely difficult and stressful for parents, as babies are inconsolable during their crying bouts. Though many theories have been explored and researched, the exact cause of colic remains unknown. The only established risk factor is smoking during pregnancy. Regardless, according to experts in the field, up to 40 percent of infants can become colicky.
To schedule a consultation with a qualified healthcare professional in Powder Springs that specializes in colic treatment, call (770) 674-6311 or contact Natural Medical Solutions Wellness Center online.
If your baby is healthy, well fed and not in need of a diaper change then the following symptoms can be indicators of colic:
- Anticipated crying periods - Crying at about the same time each day
- Changes in position - Tense abdominal muscles in combination with fists clenching and legs curling up
- Crying without a cause - When all of your baby’s needs have been addressed but crying persists
- Penetrating cries - Your baby’s cries during colic episodes are higher in pitch, and distressing in sound
- Inconsolability - Your baby will seem impossible to comfort and continues to cry despite your best efforts
- Increased bowel activity - An increase in bowel activity, which generally occurs after the colic episode subsides
- Increased activity - Colicky babies are often frantic, with increased movement, tightly shut or wide open eyes, furrowed brows and periods of holding in breath
While colic isn't a result of gas, you might notice that your baby is particularly gassy when they're experiencing colic symptoms. The gas is actually a result of colic, as babies often gulp air when they cry.
Colic Diagnosis & Treatment
If your baby is colicky it's best to consult a healthcare provider, who can rule out other more serious issues. If other illnesses are excluded and your baby receives a diagnosis of colic, your healthcare provider may suggest medication or home remedies to alleviate your baby's discomfort. Though colic generally clears up by about 5 months of age, there are still many remedies available to ease your baby's crying and provide you with some peace of mind in the meantime. Some common remedies that can help to soothe your baby include:
- Baby Probiotics or Gas Medication - Because of high instances of gas and irregular bowel movements during colic, your healthcare provider may recommend giving your baby probiotics or medication for gas.
- Changes in Feeding - To prevent further discomfort for your baby try holding them slightly upright during feedings, switching formulas or possibly even changing your own diet.
- Tips for Calming - In order to soothe your baby, you may try carrying and keeping them in motion, giving them a pacifier, turning on constant background noise (music, a fan or other white noise) or even leaving your baby alone in the crib for up to ten minutes.
- Homeopathic Remedies - There are many homeopathic methods for curing colic as well, including chiropractic medicine, massage therapy and acupressure. As always, you should consult your healthcare provider about all potential courses of treatment.
It's also important to remember not to shake your baby while you are trying to sooth them. Of course, colic can be extremely stressful for you as a parent. It's okay to take a break from your baby and let someone else help. Keep in mind that the condition is temporary and that it's important to take care of yourself as well.
Don't let your baby's colic persist without consulting with a healthcare provider. Request more information on colic treatment today. Call (770) 674-6311 or contact Natural Medical Solutions Wellness Center online.
Natural Medical Solutions Wellness Center
Address1130 Upper Hembree Rd.
Roswell, GA 30076
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Tue: 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Wed: 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Thu: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Fri: 9:00 am - 2:00 pm
Sat: 9:00 am - 2:00 pm
Areas We Service:Jacksonville, FL, Macon, GA, Savannah, GA, Canton, GA, Woodstock, GA, Acworth, GA, Austell, GA, Marietta, GA, Powder Springs, GA, Smyrna, GA, Cumming, GA, Alpharetta, GA, Atlanta, GA, Duluth, GA, Norcross, GA, Suwanee, GA, Gainesville, GA, Dallas, GA, Jasper, GA, Cobb, GA